Friday, November 3, 2017

A New Leaf

Life can be very surprising by spotlighting a hidden part of ourselves and putting it center stage.  That's what's happening to me.
Singing is my first love. I started singing in a chorus in 1st grade and remember auditioning and just letting my heart out.  In 7th grade, I chose guitar as my instrument in music class.  Over the years, I've continued both on my own because of the sheer love of it. I wanted to become a singer-songwriter when I was a teenager and had plans to go to music school. Then, I got sidetracked by painting and went to art school.  After working for a few years selling my art at Strawberry Fields, the buskers and music swirling around inspired me to get an act together.  So, I put together a "tribute" song list with a lot of Beatles songs and have been practicing for hours every day.  Imagine that, going back to a teenage dream and starting anew.  That's how I feel right now, rebirthed and after 20 years of focusing on art, this is a welcome change. Now, I have so much self-education to do: scales, blues rhythms, leads, finding my songwriting voice, and all sorts of things.  My feeling is, if you want to do something, it's never too late.  JUST DO IT!  There's so much joy in the offing.  

No comments: