Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Being Truthful

Milton Resnick
These days, I've been thinking a lot about letting go COMPLETELY in art and life.  Throwing caution and control to the wind and just going for broke.  How liberating is that idea?  I feel my whole life has been this journey towards this kind of authenticity since I've always believed that honesty is the most powerful form of expression.  It may not always be pretty or easy to look at, but should that matter?

I think about those who were truly great - those who like the cave painters of yore to Philip Guston and Cy Twombly have let their soul blast directly onto the canvas without pansyish prettifications.  I love it when Monet could barely see with cataracts and painted masterpieces that reach the sublime because he didn't have his usual conditioned constraints.  

Claude Monet (late)

















To "go blind" and let myself charge ahead is what gives me inspiration these days.  I bought a 38 tubes of oil from a guy on Ebay and bought some pre-primed canvas (which is a first).  I wrapped it around a 48 x 48" bulletin board and will pick a good day to jump right in.  Let's see what happens.

1 comment:

Elena said...

I would love to have your courage.......and let go.......